You’ve decided to hire professionals to ship your vehicle to a new location, and now you’ve got questions. Everyone does! Here are the questions people ask most frequently as they begin to research the best option for their shipping needs:
“How much does it cost to ship a car?”
There are so many variables that affect the answer to this question. It starts with basic things like:
- Pick-up and drop-off location (distance)
- Size and make of your vehicle
- Cost of fuel
- Special equipment needed
- Enclosed or open transport
According to an analysis of 700 shipping companies made by Move.org, shipping a car can cost between $600 and $2000.
“How does car shipping work?”
There are five basic steps to car transport:
- Do your research. We encourage you to get several transport quotes, compare prices, read customer reviews, and check out the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) safety rating.
There are two kinds of companies involved in transporting your car from one place to another: brokers that place your reservations and carriers that ship your vehicle.
There are two paths to finding the carrier that best suits your needs regarding time, money, special requests, and support: You could call 5 – 10 carriers yourself. Or you can get transport quotes from a broker who has access to a network of the best carriers – like ShipLux – and have them do all the work involved in finding the best solution.
- Make sure the auto transport company is licensed and insured. If you’re working with a broker, ask for information about the carrier’s insurance.
- Prep your vehicle. The driver will load your car onto the transport trailer. You can ensure a smoother process if you first prepare your vehicle for transport, including clearing out belongings and documenting any previous damage.
- Pick-up, transport, drop-off. The driver transports your car to its new location, which can take several days depending on the distance and other variables.
- Receive your vehicle and pay. The driver unloads your car at its new location. You check for any damages, sign a bill of lading, thank your driver, and pay with cash, money order, or in whatever way was previously agreed. Most brokers receive a deposit to book your move, and you pay the driver the remainder when you receive the car. Here is a blog post that explains how this car shipping payment process protects everyone involved.
As an auto transport management company, ShipLux has access to a large fleet of carriers for ultimate flexibility. The logistics professionals at ShipLux utilize a vast network of expert carriers to arrange your ideal transport, even in the most unusual circumstances, at the best price for your needs.
“How long does it take to pick up and deliver my car?”
This answer has a lot of variables.
Most auto shipping companies need about two weeks’ notice to arrange transport, which includes a 3-to-5-day pick-up window once a driver and route have been arranged. With ShipLux, your vehicle will be picked up within 12-72 hours of order placement because of our access to a large network of carriers.
As for delivery, that will depend on weather, location, distance, seasonal variations, and type of transport. The Department of Transportation regulates the amount of time transport drivers can drive in one day—generally around 500 miles. Cross-country shipping will take 7 to 10 days on an open carrier, or 5 to 7 days with enclosed shipping.
“What is the difference between open or enclosed shipping?”
Open carriers are the ones that we see moving along highways, with a load of cars exposed to the weather and road debris. They tend to be the less expensive option, but the shipping will take a little longer because they have more stops to make picking up and delivering vehicles.
Enclosed vehicle transport protects your car within a hard-sided, fully-enclosed trailer. It does cost a little more because they carry fewer vehicles and require more fuel. However, combined with White Glove Service, this is the best option to protect your cars from weather, road debris, and possible theft. Enclosed transport is also the best option if shipping a unique or antique vehicle.
Shipping Questions? ShipLux Answers
We’re sure you still have many questions, including why you should choose ShipLux. Visit our FAQ page to find out more, or contact us any time for a human response in real-time!
We love cars, and making the shipping process easy! Here is what you get with ShipLux:
- Our hassle-free guarantee is supported and backed through every detail.
- We offer Premium Service as a rule, not an extra.
- We promise honest, transparent pricing and open communication.
- We transport any vehicle anywhere.
- We deliver excellence.
Call, text, email, or chat with us live on FB Messenger or WhatsApp. Our agents are standing by 24/7 to answer any and all of your car shipping questions.