Whether you decide to ship your vehicle to a location you’re heading to, or you’re shipping a vehicle abroad while staying put, allow us at ShipLux to help you check this task off your list and remove a whopping amount of stress from you!
We get it: the prospect of shipping your vehicle internationally sounds pretty daunting and overwhelming but the truth is, it’s not as difficult as it appears. Yes, there is more to it than doing cross-country shipping, but this is what we specialize in! It’s what we do! We have top industry strategies and standards to safely, effortlessly, and affordably ship yourvehicle to hot spots all over the globe.
Read on to learn the details of what it entails to ship your vehicle internationally.
Which Countries Does ShipLux Ship To?
Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, so let’s rewind and start at the very beginning. It’s true, we ship to many destinations around the globe, but we don’t go absolutely everywhere—yet, anyway!
Here is where ShipLux can ship your vehicle globally:
ShipLux has ties with multiple ports in Europe, and we offer a nice range of destinations, so long as the country is not completely landlocked and has major ports. The beauty, however, of shipping to Europe is that even if we do not go directly to your intended country, it is not long (at all!) to finish the trip with our door-to-door service, as Europe is an incredibly well-connected country.
Currently, we offer vehicle shipping to Bremerhaven in Germany, Drammen in Norway, Southampton in England and Livorno in Italy.
We consider this gorgeous Caribbean Island a relatively straightforward shipping process, as Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory and has been since 1988. This helps! Typically the route for this journey begins in Florida.
New Zealand and Australia
We are well-versed in getting folk’s vehicles securely to New Zealand. While it’s a long flight for you, typically the journey for your vehicle is not as bad as you may think, typically lasting around 30 days, or one month until it arrives. We work closely with a port in Auckland. Neighboring New Zealand, we do direct shipping down under, too! The three main ports that we work closely with are located in New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland.
Africa is one of the top continents that we bring vehicles safely to. Here are the top countries we go to within Africa:
- Côte D Ivoire
- Sierra Leone
Dominican Republic and Jamaica:
Going to soak up the sun on these Caribbean heavens? Jealous! We have a port in both the Dominican Republic and Jamaica, where your vehicle will be delivered safely and smoothly to start embracing island life.
Asia and Southeast Asia
Yes, we deliver here! We have ports in the Philippines and Japan.
Outside of the many ports in America, we also have ports in Canada and Mexico, too!
Welcome your beloved into the following countries in this region:
- Saudi Arabia
- Saudi Arabia
Don’t see the place you have your heart set on? Send us a quick message and we can happily discuss your options. We love to support our customers and may have a solution.
What Are The Transport Method Options For International Shipping?
The journey all begins in the USA. At ShipLux, we offer multiple methods for you to get your vehicle transported safely to its international spot, including a fully hands-off, door-to-door method, where your vehicle is collected in the USA right from your house, and reunited with it at your final destination.
We also offer port-to-port shipping, where you, the vehicle driver, will opt to transport your vehicle to the shipping port by driving it there and meeting with the person who will transport it for you on-site at the port. This is a nice option, but only really realistic if you live somewhere near one of our U.S. ports, which are located in:
- New York
- Port Everglades
We only suggest this if you live nearby because going long distances will clock a ton of miles that are, ultimately, unnecessary for your vehicle. Plus, our drivers are professionals, trained and skilled in going long distances (with, of course, mandated breaks) that we regular drivers don’t have, which means you will need to take many breaks and this is an added expenditure (hello, hotels and food!) and added stress.
ShipLux offers the following shipping methods for international trips:
- Roll-on roll-off, aka “RoRo shipping”
As the name suggests, with roll-on, roll-off shipping, your vehicle will be driven on by one of our professional drivers, rolling on and off the cargo ship. It will not be lifted by a crane. Your vehicle will be taken directly onto the vessel and then secured inside on the car decks inside the vessel, which are both wind and watertight.
Most RoRo shipping options can easily handle almost all types of vehicles, ranging from motorcycles, cars, 4×4’s, motorhomes and trucks. Whether ShipLux collects your vehicle from your home or a port in the US, a friendly member of our team will drive your vehicle on and off of the cargo ship for you.
- Closed container shipping
A closed container is a valuable ticket for your vehicle, where it gets to kick back inside of a fully closed ship container. Your vehicle will be professionally loaded into the container, typically using cranes or other forms of specialized equipment to keep it secure and avoid any damage. We often suggest closed container shipping for anyone shipping a vehicle that is considered a unique, exotic, antique or high-value vehicle, as it will have 360-degree protection.
All of the containers are large, starting at 20 feet and 40 feet, which you can select depending on the size and height of your vehicle. ShipLux also offers the option for a private container or one that is shared with other vehicles.
- Air-freight shipping
Air-freight shipping is a fancy term for a vehicle delivery via a flight, which can be either chartered or commercial. You may be surprised to know that one commercial plane can hold up to 80 standard vehicles!
This option is ideal for express shipping, since it is by far, the fastest method of getting your vehicle to your final destination. That being said, you are definitely paying for the speed as it is the most expensive shipping out of the three.
For this option, you are welcome to drive your car to the arranged airport, but we will happily pick it up right at your door.
We recommend this method if you have a very expensive car, as it is one of the most secure and safest options.
How Long Does International Vehicle Shipping Take?
Upon picking which option of shipping you wish to pursue, we will get your order underway and the process of shipping will begin.
In regards to timing, time frames will vary and depend upon where your ultimate destination is. For example, from the U.S. to Japan can take anywhere between 8-10 weeks whereas most destinations across Europe can take between 12-20 days.
We will be able to provide a better estimate once your shipping is confirmed based on your destination. ShipLux offers 24.7 communication channels with our customers, so you will receive regular updates on the status of your shipping, any potential delays, or issues or to answer any questions that may come up. We’re always here to help!
Costs Of International Vehicle Shipping
There is a lot that goes into the pricing for international shipping. We wish we could slap one set price, but it’s sadly not that easy. Some of the factors that go into the detailed quote we provide all our customers include:
- If you opt for port-to-port, door-to-port or door-to-door service.
- The method of shipping, whether it is roll-on roll-off (which is generally the cheapest), closed container shipping or air freight.
- If you opt for a private container or a shared one.
- Destination fees: this will vary depending on the country, but there will always be a fee. It may be for taxes or import duties.
- The time of year you are shipping.
- Distance your vehicle is going.
- Vehicle type, including the size and weight.
- How popular the route your vehicle is going is.
At ShipLux, we proudly operate on a transparency-focused model, and our prices will never include sketchy hidden fees that will shock you. International shipping does add some complications due to the necessary paperwork that will vary from country to country, but our customer service team members will do their utmost to answer any and every question you have.
If you haven’t thought about it yet, be sure to consider the value of your vehicle, the state it is in and how much time you believe you have left with it. The thing is, shipping your vehicle overseas might cost more than your vehicle is worth and you may be doing the shipping process in vain! For example, if you have the same car from high school and it is just on its last legs, it may be wiser to just sell your car and buy a new one when you reach your destination instead of paying for international shipping. This is a choice only you can make!
However, it’s also important to note that in certain countries, such as Dubai, vehicles must be left-handed cars, the windows cannot be tinted and the vehicle model can not exceed 10 years old unless explicit approval from a local agent based in Dubai. If your vehicle does not meet the requirements of the country you are heading to, you may be out of luck.
For the most accurate quote, we encourage you to fill out a quote! It is easy to do, we promise, and the result is a wonderfully personalized quote that includes all of the fees associated with your specific needs and requirements.
What Paperwork is Necessary for International Vehicle Shipping?
Think about the paperwork we need, as humans, to board an international flight. Then, when we arrive at the destination, we have to deal with the border agents and give them the information they require. Well, the same goes for vehicles! Just like each destination requires different paperwork when traveling, the exact requirements will vary depending on what country your vehicle is heading to.
Paperwork is vital, as it can lead to serious issues, delays or additional fees tacked on if you are unable to provide it at the port. Some countries will hold the vehicle basically hostage until they get what is needed from you, so it’s important to be organized and very mindful when it comes to this.
While you will have a specific list for the specific country, in general, you’ll need to provide the following information:
- Your personal information: This means two copies of government-issued identification cards, like a passport or driver’s license
- Detailed vehicle information: Year, make, model, and the vehicle’s estimated value
- Owner information, such as the following:
- Original copy of the vehicle title
- If the vehicle has been recently purchased, you will need to provide both the vehicle title and bill of sale
- If the vehicle has been financed, you will need to provide a notarized copy of the title and a notarized lien authorization
Cars are not permitted to even leave the USA if it has a lien on them. Not to worry, all this means is that if you have a lien currently on your car, it is imperative to pay for the car in full prior to shipping. The only exception to this rule is members of the US military and government employees or contractors, who can take their car despite a lien but they need to provide a letter of authorization from the lender to do this.
For international shipping, additional insurance is recommended but is by no means a legal requirement. We recommend obtaining marine insurance, as this will cover any physical loss or damage occurred while the vehicle is in transfer, acquiring, or between the points of origin and the final destination.
How To Prepare Your Vehicle For International Travel
Before bidding your vehicle adieu, several safety and precautionary steps should be taken for both safety and comfort (for everyone!)
To prepare your vehicle for international travel, you should do the following:
- Clean your car thoroughly at a car wash
- Document the vehicle’s condition in detail by taking photographs. Make note of any dings, dents, scratches and other issues that are already present on the vehicle. Take photographs of all areas of the vehicle, and be sure to zoom in on damaged areas of the vehicle.
- Empty your vehicle of all your personal items, especially anything of value if you are doing RoRo shipping. If anything goes wrong, it can be complicated to sort out stolen or lost pieces. To avoid any issues, just clear it out completely. You are permitted to leave items inside for both cargo container shipping and air freight, but be sure to keep all windows and mirrors safe and accessible.
- Remove loose and customized exterior items. While awesome and functional, pieces like luggage or bike racks, spoilers, GPS systems and other pieces should be removed for the duration of the trip. While doing this, secure any convertible tops (if applicable) to ensure that they stay put during the shipping process.
- Take off any toll tags or passes. These may result in additional charges during the transport so it is best practice to deactivate and/or remove this equipment.
- Take the vehicle for a check-up, where the mechanic will check the fluid levels, check the tires and look at the battery. Any issues found, especially leaks should be fixed or at least reported to us so that we can be sure to avoid any issues with leaking.
- Ensure the battery is fully charged.
- Disable all alarms.
- Write down your vehicle’s mileage upon pickup and delivery.
- Check the fuel gauge. For safety reasons, it is best to keep the gas level very low, as carriers will limit the fuel amount.
- Get a second key cut so there is an extra key available if necessary.
Moving, especially internationally, is stressful, so allow ShipLux to take care of your vehicle with our reliable, honest and trustworthy team! We will walk you through expectations, and quote and ensure you have all the paperwork necessary, all while making the process smooth and as stress-free as possible. Prepare for your next greatest adventure with your trusty vehicle sidekick alongside you, wherever you go in the world! Contact us today to discuss your options.